Weird ipw2200 problem

Thomas Schlesinger schlesinger at netcologne.de
Sat Jun 10 08:45:15 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm using the if_iwi driver for several weeks now and have an annoying
problem. First, I want to desribe my setup:

I use an ADSL-router with built-in WLAN-capability (SMCWBR14-G), (local)
IP-address 192.168.2.1, which acts as DNS-server, too. DHCP is disabled.
WPA2-encryption is enabled.

I have a desktop machine, that is attached to the router via LAN cables.
IP-Address is 192.168.2.100, running Linux, GNU/Hurd and DragonFlyBSD
1.5.3-Development.

My notebook is wireless attached via ipw220 WLAN chip, IP-Address is
192.168.2.101.

Here's my problem:
Often I'm unable to ping my router or a host in the internet. But at the same
time, I'm able to ping my desktop machine. When I'm unable to ping my router,
I'm often able to "restore" the connection to the router by pinging my
desktop. After several pings to my desktop, I can often reach my router
again. There's no hint in /var/log/messages.

To check, if it's a problem with my notebook, I've installed Linux and tried
for some days, if the problem occured here, too. It didn't.

I've also tried to switch the WLAN channel, but didn't find a channel, where
the problem doesn't occur.

Any ideas?