SATA to CF -- great for embedded DFly firewalls

Dmitri Nikulin dnikulin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 16:20:25 PDT 2006

On 8/1/06, Joseph Garcia <bsd_usr at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I came across this product that I figured some of you might be
interested in especially if you're buiding embedded firewall boxes with
DragonFlyBSD. It's an SATA to Compact Flash device. It mounts in the
front or the back of the PC. Seems pretty neat.
Here's the product link:

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adsacf.asp
Cute - they say it's compatible with every Microsoft OS in history but
no mention of all the other systems which support SATA. Then they
recommend using their own SATA cards based on, wait for it, Sillicon
Image chipsets. Good device though, just really difficult to trust a
corporation like that.
How many CF-based embedded devices does DragonFly actually run on? I'd
be happy to use it but I wonder what advantage it has over NetBSD in
single-CPU embedded devices. I'm certainly interested in building a
few embedded devices sometime soon.
---
Dmitri Nikulin
Centre for Synchrotron Science