Just why exactly doesnt cdparanoia work?

Dmitri Nikulin dnikulin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 06:00:29 PDT 2006

On 7/17/06, Petr Janda <elekktretterr at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
levator# cdparanoia -v -g /dev/acd0a "2"
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xxxxxxxx> and Xiphophorus
Is it right to be using *a? Maybe for NetBSD (and OpenBSD?) but here
it's much more likely to just be acd0 or pass0 itself. It's really
confusing - a should be the first data 'partition' but there IS no
data partition on an audio cd, and the kernel shouldn't try to pick
one up.
So yes, I think I agree with the error - that device probably doesn't
even exist. Try removing the -g foo part entirely, if that doesn't
work, go for /dev/acd0c, /dev/acd0 or pass0. FreeBSD 5 removed the c
for 'entire slice' but I think DragonFly kept it.
---
Dmitri Nikulin
Centre for Synchrotron Science
Monash University