NVIDIA FreeBSD Kernel Feature Requests, interesting info for dfly?

Dimitri Kovalov dimitri_kovalov at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 06:58:38 PDT 2006

--- Bill Hacker <wbh at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> > Dimitri Kovalov wrote:
> > <cut>
> >

> >> You have it backwards. The reason BSD is all 'black
> boxes'
> >> is that it is not competitive or good in the video
> area.

> *I* have it backwards?
>
> We should all be running WinWoes 'cos it is 'good in the
> video area?'

What does "we" have to do with it? I said BSD isn't
prevelant on desktops because its not good at video. Its
too much trouble. Productive people use windows, because
instead of spending a half a day getting a video card to
work, they can do something income-producing. Thats what
its all about.

> >> Apple can make it work because they sell the whole box
> and
> >> can control the hardware.  But the open-source OSes
> don't
> >> have the resources to support video.
>
> Not so. You have cause and effect reversed.

No I don't.  getting vendors to write drivers for 1000s of
cards using their programmers who know the hardware is
advantages over trusting some guy from some country with
way too much time on his hands to write and maintain it.

> The F/OSS folks who *must have* a good video and GUI to
> get some *other* set of
> tasks accomplished simply buy the commodity that suits
> them.
>
> Lots of *n*x developers use a Winbox or Mac with nary a
> care for the politics or
> religion, just as they would a twist drill. Not
> throw-away, but expendable
> nonetheless.
>
> The haven't time to play with these 'appliances', and
> begrudge even time wasted
> on updates and fiddling (hence my move form OS/2 to OSX).
>
> Very much a minority market vs gadzillions of
> office-workers and home users.
>
> Those who would *like to have* a good video and GUI for
> reasons *other than*
> getting some other job done, are more likely to use
> Linux, and DO spend a good
> deal of time modifying and updating their personal WS.

Mostly they use Windows, not because its a better os, but
because it has more options and tools to "get the job
done".
Some people have jobs more complicated than Bill Hacker. I
guess from your hole you'd not understand it.

One big problem is that you guys, as BSD developers, are
not focused on what the public wants, you are focused on
your own, unusual needs. Which is why BSD is no good for
the public, only for hackers. The developers, who mostly
don't understand the real world, develop for other
developers.

Dimitri