pkg_chk replacement?

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 24 14:46:25 PST 2006

Marcin Jessa wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2006 18:34:35 GMT
> Csaba Henk <csaba.henk at xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 2006-01-24, Marcin Jessa <lists at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Is there any better solution for automatic package upgrade than
>>> pkg_chk ?

>>   [...]
>>   pkgmanager attempts to alleviate these problems by upgrading all
>>   packages "in place"...

> Great for the answer.
> Thanks a lot :)

I use pkgmanager on NetBSD quite often, and it works quite well, but
there are some things you need to know.

First, the author specifically states that pkgmanager does *not*
take responsibility for any package which fails to build.  This
is my primary complaint about pkg_chk -u, and the one thing about
portupgrade that I really miss.  You should know that pkgmanager
does *not* re-install the old version of a package which fails to
install!

pkgmanager is written in clisp, so the clisp package is required
on any machine which uses pkgmanager.

I think I would be very nervous about using pkgmanager on servers
which can't afford any downtime.  I'm not a computer professional,
so I can afford to destroy my gnome desktop and go have a beer :o)

I think I would take Joerg's advice if I had to maintain servers...