Would DF welcome a phpbb forum?

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Tue Jan 17 09:08:59 PST 2006

elekktretterr at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well, yes, you are correct, Justin. In my opnion it would be great to have
it like that. A BB would function in multiple ways, relay information from
the mailing lists (bugs, comitts, kernel, documentation etc), plus allow
current and coming users to have a userfriendly interface to ask questions
on software or talk about high they got yesterday and how their boss acts
like a monster. Thats how I imagine a community at least. it shouldnt be
just all strictly about the operating system, but also about being people.
Like me and another person mentioned the gentoo forums, i think it has
something like 100000 members, averaging 1500 posts per day, out of them
about a half is probably not even gentoo linux related. I think most young
people get turned off by mailing lists.
non-operating system talk should go to dragonfly.chat then.  after all
we're developing an OS and not hosting a online bar-alike hangout.

the more non-topic posts there are the lower the overall quality tends
to be (see gentoo forums.  it takes quite some time to find quality
information)

a pure nntp<->web gateway would be okay, maybe.  i wouldn't use it
though.  the important thing still is that there is just one place the
users go to:  the dragonfly forums.  no matter which media they use, the
content should always be the same.

cheers
  simon