cpdup backup question

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Feb 2 10:53:35 PST 2006

On Thu, February 2, 2006 1:13 pm, Terry Tree wrote:
> The problem is the computer is sort of a public computer.  Not
> everyone in my dorm  has a computer so I create accounts for people in
> my dorm to use my computer.  So I can't be 100% for sure of the
> directories which contain mp3's and iso files.

Maybe create a specific place for people to store these types of materials
- i.e. create an softlink in their home dir to a disk with more space that
isn't backed up.

Incidentally, here's a warning that stems from indirect experience: don't
do that.  As the owner of the computer, if one of the users on there
decides to download copyrighted material (which probably already
happened), grab kid porn, fake credit card purchases, or launch a network
attack, you are responsible.  As in fines and jail time responsible.
Especially if you're at a U.S. college, the college will at the very least
get a subpoena, and the college will be taking a hard look at you.