NVIDIA driver

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Feb 15 17:59:12 PST 2006

On 16.02.2006, at 01:42, Danial Thom wrote:
So. What are those of us with Nvidia cards to
do? Install a different
video card?
- use text console or
- use xorg with vesa or nv driver
- don't use 3d accellerated stuff

- reverse engineer the hardware, or better yet,
- get hardware companies to open their specs
I wonder if the open source weenies will ever
figure it out?
They made a business decision that they have more
to lose by opening their interface to cloners
then they have to gain by releasing source and
interface specs. Its not really that complicated.
I wonder how long it will take you to figure out that this isn't our [=
society's] problem.  I never asked for the raisins they have, I know
them.  I don't care why they don't open it.  I care *that* they don't.
This is a problem of our society.  As soon as all hardware is closed,
all software needs to be closed as well, leading to an all-closed IT
infrastructure.  This document?  You may not open [bad propaganda in
there, after all].  This email?  You may not encrypt [well of course,
but we will still be reading it].  This song?  You may not record from
the radio/your friends playing the guitar [after all it's copyrighted
and you didn't pay the fee for it].

Don't tell me this won't ever happen.  It is already happening.
Welcome to the world of 22 years ago.  For further reference try
playing a recent sony audio cd under windows.  Soon you will only be
able to play discs under windows exclusively...

I don't expect you to agree with me nor do I even expect you to
understand what I am writing, but after all there are wise people out
there reading the lists.

people, stand in for your right, for your freedom!
  simon
PGP.sig