rpath versus ld-elf.so.hints?

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Tue Feb 14 09:09:12 PST 2006

I'm confused about the use of these two mechanisms for finding
shared libraries:  the FreeBSD way seems to be to add the
/usr/local/lib directory to ld-elf.so.hints, but the NetBSD
way is to use the rpath mechanism for /usr/pkg/lib/*.so

This causes problems when a pkgsrc library is linked without
the usual rpath (by accident, I assume) e.g. the cdparanoia
package I just built on DF.

So, what do you guys do?  Is there any disadvantage to adding
/usr/pkg/lib to the hints file?  Any reason to avoid it?
(Possible name conflicts if someone trys to use both ports
and pkgsrc, maybe?)

Thanks.