Wireless network cards

Marcin Jessa lists at yazzy.org
Wed Feb 1 00:35:33 PST 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:36:12 -0500
Bryan Berch <dfbsd at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to get a wireless network set-up in my house using my gateway
> box.  Can any one give me a good choice in a wireless network card for
> my desktop box or is there a better way to do it?

The best supported wireless chip today is atheros. To be hones I am not
sure how well it works on dragonflybsd but on the other hand I cannot
recall any problem reports on the list.
You could allways get a cheap base station and connect it to your
computer in either bridge mode or acting as a NAT gateway.

> If the network card route is fine, can there be an antenna located in
> a central location in the house using a cable from the network card
> and to the antenna?

This setup seems like unnecessary hassle to me.
First of all the antenna needs to be connected to a wireless card.
You could just hook the antenna to coaxial cable and then to your PC but
this will lead to lots of signal loss. And will propably cost way more
than buying a cheap wireless router.
Most of todays wireless access points have pretty decent
coverage and there should be no problem in placing it somewhere else
than in the middle of your house.
You can connect it to network cable or let it talk to a second access
point in WDS mode.

Cheers
Marcin