Request for swapcontext and getcontext to be ported to our libc

Petr Janda elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Mon Dec 25 06:16:41 PST 2006

How much would you like me to pay you? Honest, give me estimate on how
long this is going to take. If price is good, id also hire someone to
add NSS support.

Cheers,
Petr
Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Petr Janda wrote:
Hi,
Could someone please port these from FreeBSD or NetBSD? Without them
it seem is impossible to install powerdns-recusor.

Can anyone do it in their spare time please?
As I keep saying, open source usually doesn't work this way.  This is
how I see open source working:

(a) you need something, you do it
(b) you need something, you nag about it
(c) you need something, you offer to pay for it (code bounty),
somebody takes it and does it for you

so, what we can see, (b) doesn't help if nobody matches (a) nor (c).
of course you could have success by doing (b) so long until somebody
either shows enough mercy and does it or gets interested himself and
goes to (a).  so if you *really* want something, (a) and (c) are the
fastest ways.  if your abilities do not match (a), you have to match
(c).  it's simple as that.  people are volunteering and (as you
observed correctly) doing stuff in their spare time.  of course this
leads to the result that people only actually do what they like to do
and this does not necessarily match what *other* people would like
them to do.  offering money can overcome this problem.  i think this
is a fair model where everybody can contribute, either by writing code
((a)) or by supporting somebody who writes code ((c)).

cheers
  simon
ps: i think *context does not have to be a kernel function like in
freebsd, but i'd like to hear more opinions on that