using swap on a separate slice

Ja'far Railton ibn.richard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 12:05:42 PST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:23:28AM -0800, walt wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:45:22AM +0300, Ja'far Railton wrote:
> >> I would like to make use of a swap slice left over from a Linux install
> >> (in order to free up the current DFly swap partition for other use).
> >> It is therefore an extended partion. I have googled this but need some
> >> pointers. Can anyone help me with this?
>
> > Extended partitions end up as ad?sX with X>=4. It should be the same
> > order as Linux otherwise.
>
> I seem to recall that I've needed to create extended partitions in the
> /dev directory.
>
> If the existing swap partition in linux was e.g. /dev/hda7, then in
> DragonFly you would do this:
>
> # cd /dev
> # ./MAKEDEV ad0s7

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I tried MAKEDEV with ad0s4 (and other permutations as I had
been playing around with fdisk, marking the slice 'swap', then 'unused',
so I thought is might show up ad0s3x or even ad0s5x).

Nothing would swapon. I got 'Device not configured' or 'invalid
argument' depending on the /dev (e.g. /dev/ad0s4, ad0s4{a,b}, etc.).

My workaround, however, was to use fdisk, disklabel and growfs to extend
the /home directory into the free space instead and keep my native swap
as it is, so all's well that ends well (so far)...

	-jr