Idle question about multi-core processors

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Dec 1 19:43:23 PST 2006

:Will this last bit of BGL removal cause a significant speed improvement?
:If so, I'd pick that.  The virtual kernel support is more developer
:oriented (as I understand it), and so if it gets finished just after
:release rather than before, it won't change things much, as the people who
:would use it are probably already running HEAD.

    The BGL removal in the network path would probably improve the SMP
    characteristics for things like Apache servers, routers, etc, but
    unless you are actually running cpu-bound systems (100% cpu load), you
    wouldn't notice much of a difference.

    Pretty much any performance improvement made to a kernel (any kernel)
    only matters under load, when machine resources get stressed.

					<dillon at backplane.com>