"The future of NetBSD" by Charles M. Hannum

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Aug 31 10:05:29 PDT 2006

:Hello,
:
:I found this message on the NetBSD mailing list and it
:can be quite interesting for reading. It says about
:negative stuff in the NetBSD project and manners for
:fixing the problems of the project.
:
:I hope it can be useful for read to others, for me is
:quite interesting. He mentions DragonFly, so I think
:is worth mentioning it here because of that ;)
:
:http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2006/08/30/0016.html
:
:Regards,
:timofonic

    It's very interesting and should serve as a caution both that no
    open-source project lasts forever, and no open-source project ever
    truely dies, either.  What happens is that people move on, and others
    fill the gaps and, eventually, even if it winds up being 20 years later,
    the best pieces of the project morph into something else entirely.

    For my part, I have a very clear set of personal goals that I want
    to achieve with DragonFly, but regardless of my own goals the concept
    of 'getting behind' in various areas is one that we, facing similarly
    low numbers of developers, have to deal with every day.  In many
    respects, the interest in the DragonFly project is very heavily
    supported by the work that everyone is doing to keep the project
    up to date as it is by my lofty clustering goals.  In fact, I would say
    that 75% of the interest in our project has nothing to do with my
    project goals but instead are directly associated with work being done
    by our relatively small community.  I truely appreciate that effort
    because it allows me to focus on the part that is most near and dear
    to my own heart.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>