Pacman?

Gergo Szakal bastyaelvtars at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 07:49:37 PDT 2006

c6f9baa at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>	 <5c3e8b1b0608160658t3345c550j9efe593dbaadb5d2 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <8613c4330608160728r64727d23wfbe332e3ebd4a41f at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Pieter Dumon wrote:

> With portage, you can choose between being stable or using the latest
> of the latest, with new package versions usually being integrated in
> portage in just a couple of days or less (although being marked
> unstable, that is). But pkgsrc-wip solves this.
>
> It's more userfriendly with regard to dependencies and updates than
> pkgsrc, but pkgsrc has its advantages, and there's a large amount of
> effort put
> into it to port it to DFly, so I think its better to put effort in
> pkgsrc than in alternatives.

TBH, I don't see why have ports for FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Gentoo and
whatever, why not make a system that has many packages for many OS's.
Having used FreeBSD a lot, using OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD now, I don't
understand why their package systems have to be separated, especially
when there is pkgsrc for OpenBSD and FreeBSD either, it should be shared
among BSD flavors at least (i mean NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
DragonFlyBSD). Would be also good if it were integrated with Slackware
better, having it as its primary packaging system instead of the
multilocular package searching pain that one wanting to install
something has to face. I don't say it should replace apt/dpkg or rpm but
it should be paid more attention.

Just my $0.02.