Replacing vixie cron with dillon's cron in base?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Apr 21 10:32:35 PDT 2006

:> Well, it's light, small and compact, and it does all we need (which is
:> schedule commands to run at certain times). Administration-wise it's not
:> different. (edit crons with crontab -e, same crontab format). It's also
:> very mature (and because of that, also very secure). I don't actually
:> see why we couldn't get rid of vixie's cron and use dcron instead.
:
:They are functionally identical, except the one we have is in more common
:usage and doesn't need to be updated or relicensed.
:
:We're already discussed a bug tracking system when working alternatives
:exist, plus a new source tracking system (cvsup).  We've got a lot of
:bread, and only so much butter to spread on it - I'd rather work on
:technology that doesn't already exist.

    There are a bunch of things that vixie cron does that dcron does
    not, like deal with environment variables and execute-on-startup
    directives in the crontab and TZ overrides.  If someone wants to
    work on those items, and whatever else is missing, then I wouldn't
    mine replacing it.  But I don't have time to work on it myself.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>