Getting nuts with pkgsrc

Thomas Schlesinger schlesinger at netcologne.de
Wed Apr 19 13:21:34 PDT 2006

Am Mittwoch, 19. April 2006 21:58 schrieb joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:10:08PM +0200, Thomas Schlesinger wrote:
> > after problems with binary packages (no ogg-support in KDE and crashing
> > KDE)
>
> Can you be more verbose?
>
> > I've tried to build KDE from source *the last three days* and get in
> > heavy trouble with packages (not-existing files were required). Today, I
> > discovered the Wiki page about pkgsrc, deleted my existing pkgsrc
> > installation and set it up new, according to the Wiki article.
>
> The main tree is currently a bit in a flux due to updates for libpng and
> preparations to support modular Xorg (aka 7.0). You might be better of
> with the quarter branch.
>
> Joerg

Would ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/2006Q1/pkgsrc-2006Q1.tar.bz2 be a
feasible file? How can I do a bootstrap then (/usr/pkgsrc/bootstrap doesn't
exist in this tar file)?

Until now, I've encountered two problems with KDE's binary packages:

1. lack off ogg support
Though I've had installed libogg and libvorbis, I was unable to play ogg files
from KDE itself (sound notifications). Using programs to play ogg-files
worked, though (kmplayer).

2. Kmixer couldn't be used
Kmixer seems to find no mixing device, though sound works in general.

3. Korganizer crashed mostly when adding an appointment.

I've encountered this problems on my both machines.

Thomas