Sendmail Client SMTP AUTH

john duncan agley at beagle.com.au
Mon Apr 17 14:37:53 PDT 2006

Hi,

    Does anyone have Sendmail working as a client with SMTP AUTH on
DragonFlyBSD ? I have been trying for weeks. I have built the cyrus-
sasl programs with pkgsrc-2006Q1 and tried every how-to I could find
on the net ( they are all different ) but no joy. Perhaps the
EXTERNAL method is not working again.

    I have tried building the latest cyrus-sasl but configure which
works quite well for many programs with --host=FreeBSD will only
work with --build=386bsd for cyrus-sasl, which doesn't seem enough.

   Here is the /etc/make.conf I used

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/pkg/include
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/pkg/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
NO_BIND=true
NO_OBJC=true
NO_IPFILTER=true
NO_I4B=true
NOINFO=true
NOPROFILE=true

    While this builds the sasl support into Sendmail ever time I reboot
I have to run

# ldconfig -R /usr/pkg/lib
# ldconfig -R /usr/pkg/include

    to get Sendmail to find these files. Whatever I try ( genericstable,
access etc. ) relaying is denied. I will have to read about the deeper
debugging levels of Sendmail.

    If I return to the default Sendmail build then I can send mail off-site if
I run fetchmail against my isp first, the password negotiation must be
remembered, but only for a short while.

    Also since building with NO_BIND=true root mail is no longer forwarded
to my user account, I have to run /var/spool/mqueue manually.

    I have tried emacs-nox11 but the gnus included can't speak SMTP AUTH
with my isp yet, apparently this version is still only in CVS. I don't
wish to install Xorg just to send mail now that i am on dial-up.

                           Thanks for any clues,
                                John Duncan

--
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley                                   Robert Burns 1785