Replacing vixie cron with dillon's cron in base?

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Apr 21 08:57:25 PDT 2006

On Fri, April 21, 2006 6:26 am, Emiel Kollof wrote:

> Well, it's light, small and compact, and it does all we need (which is
> schedule commands to run at certain times). Administration-wise it's not
> different. (edit crons with crontab -e, same crontab format). It's also
> very mature (and because of that, also very secure). I don't actually
> see why we couldn't get rid of vixie's cron and use dcron instead.

They are functionally identical, except the one we have is in more common
usage and doesn't need to be updated or relicensed.

We're already discussed a bug tracking system when working alternatives
exist, plus a new source tracking system (cvsup).  We've got a lot of
bread, and only so much butter to spread on it - I'd rather work on
technology that doesn't already exist.