PKGSRC will be officially supported as of the next release

Max Okumoto okumoto at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 1 22:21:34 PDT 2005

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:21:33AM +0200, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

I heartly agree, but I wonder how much it will be the "official" port
infrastructure, for example (no intend to bikeshed coloring, as long as
its green) I being a long and hardish FreeBSD user found /usr/local the
logical places for the installed ports, do we intend to default pkgsrc
packages installation to there?

I don't think that would be a good idea nor that FreeBSD's decision was
good either. Separating managed and unmanagaed third-party programs
becomes really handy once you have to use the latter :-)
Joerg
What I would really like is if we could come up with a pkg library,
which programs would query for their install location.  Something like
Matt's varsym links, but as a portable library.  Would this be too
difficult?
/**
 * Given a package name return the path to its install location
 */
char *PkgBase(const char pkgname[])
/**
 * Given a package name, and a path rewrite the path using the install
 * location.  Used when it is difficult to rewrite hard coded paths.
 *
 * Assuming the following entires in the pkg database.
 *  pkg         = "gcc"
 *  pkgbase     = "/home/max"
 *  pkghardbase = "/usr/local"      # Only required for packages where
 *                                  # it is difficult to modify the
 *                                  # install base
 *
 * rewrite("gcc", "/usr/local/bin/gcc") -> "/home/max/bin/gcc"
 *
char *PkgBaseRewrite(const char pkgname[], const char path[]);
					Max Okumoto