More on vinum woes

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Tue Sep 13 20:23:01 PDT 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    True to a degree, but I think software raid is even worse. [...]

    And lets not even talk about the idiotic not-really-hardware-raid
    controllers like (I think) the promise.  That reaches a level of
    craziness that makes me shudder.
Given some experience here, I'd say that software RAID is far, far
better than pseudo-RAID.  I've had a Promise card do some horrible
things to a RAID-1 array...

Never had a problem with software RAID (either Linux or Vinum).  This is
on personal workstations, though, and not a server supporting a
workgroup or anything enterprise class.  Of course, in an enterprise
environment (or any how-many-9's pissing match :-), you should be
considering nothing less than a SCSI RAID setup.