12GB RAM with DfBSD?

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Wed Sep 7 04:47:01 PDT 2005

Filip Wuytack wrote:
Emiel Kollof wrote:
On Wednesday 07 September 2005 11:22, Filip Wuytack wrote:
But I was wondering before I start playing around if DF can address
the full  12GB at all in it's current  state?
AFAICR, DragonFly doesn't do PAE, so more than 4 GB won't be
addressable. I don't know of any plans to implement PAE though. It's
kind of a bitch to do for IA32. It also doesn't do 64-bit long mode
yet, but if we did, 12GB would be perfectly okay :)
Do know when DragonFly would support 64-bit? Can DF easily be ported to
AMD64 (have any of the changes the DF team to their 4.x FBSD kernel made
this step more trivial) or does it come down to a full rewrite of DF for
64bit?
As Matthew Dillon is getting more AMD64 machines, chances are he and
Hiten Pandya will commence porting soon. There are obviously enough
valid references to look at (FreeBSD/amd64, NetBSD/amd64), and a lot can
be adapted from the i386 code, as the architectures aren't that much of
a difference. It's going to be easier than porting to macppc, to say the
least.

Also, PAE won't be implemented due to it not being worth the effort when
compared to 64bit architectures. Even the PAE homestay, the Xeon, has
turned to a 64bit addressing- and datapath.

Cheers,
--
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen at xxxxxxxxxxxxx