DP performance

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Tue Nov 29 18:08:43 PST 2005

Marko Zec wrote:
Should we be really that pessimistic about potential MP performance,
even with two NICs only?  Typically packet flows are bi-directional,
and if we could have one CPU/core taking care of one direction, then
there should be at least some room for parallelism, especially once the
parallelized routing tables see the light.  Of course provided that
each NIC is handled by a separate core, and that IPC doesn't become the
actual bottleneck.
On a similar note, it is important that we add the *hardware* support
for binding a set of CPUs to particular interrupt lines.  I believe that
the API support for CPU-affinitized interrupt threads is already there
so only the hard work is left of converting the APIC code from physical
to logical access mode.
I am not sure how the AMD64 platform handles CPU affinity, by that I
mean if the same infrastructure put in place for i386 would work or not
with a few modifications here and there.  The recent untangling of the
interrupt code should make it simpler for others to dig into adding
interrupt affinity support.
--
Hiten Pandya
hmp at dragonflybsd.org