Distributed SCM (was: Re: compiling cvsup broken on -current)

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Fri Nov 4 06:23:36 PST 2005

On 04.11.2005, at 08:29, Erik Wikström wrote:
[git might be nice]
I don't quite understand, what's the difference between having a
decentralised repository and a centralised one when there is only one
official version? And should someone wish to make an own branch all
they have to do is download the whole repository and start making the
changes they want (much like DF branced of from FBSD).
No, it's not that easy.  It's about maintaining local changes/additions
over a longer period of time (because they might not apply to a general
audience, or because they are too unstable/unfinished to get into the
main tree, or for other raisins).  You can't do this with CVS without
lots of hassle, because CVS is conceptually centralized.  What the BSDs
are doing is cheating: they copy the central repository to have a local
read-only cache.  You can't really commit to your local repo because
the changes will get overwritten by the next cvsup and/or because cvs
doesn't track the original changes anymore and you have to pull up
changes from upstream to your local branch manually every time you
sync.  It's a bandaid, if any, more like a straw to splint a broken
bone.

I also understand that the Linux development-model is a bit different
from the BSD-model, might be wrong here but don't they have separate
maintainers for different parts of the kernel who gets to descide what
goes in and not. Or was that how it used to be? Anyway, my point is
that different models have different requirements on the SCM.
That might be, but it doesn't have to do with the distributed nature of
an SCM.  The pros I see is that I can develop and have my local patches
versioned until I feel that it's ready to go into the tree.

cheers
  simon
PGP.sig