HEADS UP: FreeBSD pkgsrc binaries and manuals being moved

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Nov 1 10:50:43 PST 2005

:On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:36:10AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     The FreeBSD packaging system binaries (and manuals) are being moved
:>     out of /usr/sbin and into /usr/freebsd_pkg/sbin.  People who still
:>     need to use the FreeBSD packaging system will have to add
:>     /usr/freebsd_pkg/sbin to their path.  The binaries will be left there
:>     through the Christmas release to provide a migration path, but will be
:>     removed in HEAD after the release is rolled.
:
:I wouldn't install them at all and effectively just invert NO_PKGTOOLS.
:Yes, we have to convert the BSD installer packages, but that shouldn't
:be a problem.

    Its no skin off our noses to leave it in its own directory for one
    release cycle, and a lot more of a hassle for a user who needs it to
    have to manually build it.  Therefore we are going to move it to its
    own directory for one release cycle.

:>     The NetBSD pkgsrc bootstrap will be integrated into the ISO for the
:>     Christmas release.   People building ISOs will have to have a pkgsrc
:>     tree broken out.  I haven't determined how much of it will be needed,
:>     but certainly at least /usr/pkgsrc/bootstrap will be required.
:>
:>     The related commits for both these items are going in today.
:
:Please hold this off a bit. I will provide the binary bootstrap kits for
:integration into nrelease, I just need to catch up with Jeremy's changes
:in pkgsrc. There isn't really a need to have pkgsrc itself installed.
:
:Joerg

    Our 1.4 release is going to be the week before Christmas, about 6-7 weeks
    from now.  That doesn't leave us a lot of time.

    I would rather our pkgsrc gurus focus on the big ticket GUI apps and not
    worry about the bootstrap.  I think the best solution is to simply
    require a broken out pkgsrc source tree in order to build nrelease (ISO).
    pkgsrc is going to be an important, core feature of DragonFly and the
    bootstrap build is fairly quick.   I just do not see any reason to waste
    time working on a binary bootstrap kit, at least not before the release.

    The larger GUI apps are far more important, in my view.  A binary
    bootstrap kit sounds like a great idea... but how about we do it *AFTER*
    we go through this release cycle rather then before!

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>