beagle/desktop

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Sun May 8 05:29:35 PDT 2005

viniosity wrote:
True for TV stuff like lacking get MythTV works, but DVD, xvid/divx and
any codecs work great with FreeBSD. If I want a PVR, I would grab Linux or
Windows instead any of BSD. As for movies like DVD or whatever, any BSD
work fine just like Linux.

Can BSD play sound from multiple sources at the same time?  Linux has a
problem with that..
DFBSD and FreeBSD can, in fact. On FreeBSD-5, all you need to set is 2
sysctls, and just use /dev/dsp. On FreeBSD4 and DFBSD, you can set the
same sysctls, but then you need to use /dev/dsp0.1 for one app, and
/dev/dsp0.2 for another.

I don't know 'm by heart, but doing sysctl -a | grep vchan will show
them for you. Set the one that's set to 1 to 4 and you're golden. Oh,
and make sure the /dev entries exist.

Beagle requires Mono too, which will not work on FreeBSD 4.x at all. It
might be work on DragonFly since it now has TLS, 1:1 thread library and
etc. But, it's very possible that there are few things left that to need
to be add few stuff like ttyname_r()[1], functions in libc, userlands and
etc.
I have no idea what Beagle is other than that it's akin to GNOME
somehow. Almost everyone that knows me knows I'm a KDE user anyway (and
KDE works beautifully on DragonFly).

Cheers,
Emiel