utf-8 still not working?

Spearow lists at spearow.com
Sat May 7 17:41:15 PDT 2005

>Have not tested it myself since I'm still running an old
>Preview, but this patch changes the default behaviour from
>ls -Cq to ls -C when stdout is a tty, which should give the
>same result as ls -w. Is this the right way to fix this?

i would think that for supported locales, graphic characters would
be recognized as such. are the utf-8 locales supported, or just
some broken or half-implemented crap not meant to be used at
this time, and if the latter is the case, why isn't this indicated
somewhere, and when is this expected to no longer be the case,
if ever?