pkgsrc/dfports/other?

Atte Peltomaki atte.peltomaki at iki.fi
Tue May 3 00:17:59 PDT 2005

I have been keenly waiting for a decision on what kind of a packaging
system DragonFlyBSD will end up having. Are we going to stick with glue
for FreeBSD ports, switch to pkgsrc, or develope something completely
original?

The reason why I'm worried about sticking with an existing system is the
fact that no existing system currently carries the requirements that
Matt once defined (http://www.dragonflybsd.org/goals/packages.cgi).

Eg. "A packaging system CAN walk the dependancy tree and upgrade
everything that needs upgrading.". Ok, both FreeBSD ports and pkgsrc
can do this, but in reality, it's both a time-consuming process and
likely to fail. At least I have probably never done a major-class
portupgrade without having to fix something by hand.

I especially like this one: "Debian Linux has shown us the way, but it
is possible to do better.". Debian has indeed been showing the way for
several years, and I'm more than curious to find out what we will have
as a response.

--
Atte Peltomäki
http://kameli.org