libthread_xu ready?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Mar 21 11:19:57 PST 2005

:
:On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 01:01:28PM -0500, Rongsheng Fang wrote:
:> 	I did a buildworld yesterday (3/21) with the latest current
:> 	souce and I noticed libthread_xu was already in place. This
:> 	morning I was trying to compile gtk+-2.6.4 from pkgsrc and got
:> 	complaint saying "cannot find pthread". So I just made a soft
:> 	link /usr/lib/libpthread.so to /usr/lib/libthread_xu.so and that
:> 	kinda fixed the problem. I am sure this is not a pretty way to
:> 	do it, but since CCTHREAD[1] environment variable has not been
:> 	supported yet it makes me wonder what would be the best way to
:> 	solve this kind of problem?
:
:There are still some kernel parts misssing. You definitely don't
:want to use it for real world programs at this time. Fix the programs
:to use -pthread for linkage, that will stay the most correct switch
:in the future.
:
:Joerg

    To be more precise, the shared signal and exit handling needs to
    be dealt with.  But the work is like 95% done.  The TLS support is in,
    most or all of the LD-ELF support is in, and libthread_xu is a proper
    extension to libc rather then the replacement hack represented by libc_r.

    But it is VERY close.  This release is going to be a laundry list of
    'very close' things that we can't quite turn on, which means that the
    next release is going to huge.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>