stable GCC 3.4 configurations

Andreas Hauser andy at splashground.de
Wed Mar 16 11:51:54 PST 2005

dragonflybsd wrote @ Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:02:11 +0100:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just built a DragonFly_Stable system with gcc 3.4 using CPUTYPE=p4
> and -O2 optimization. The resulting kernel still bootet, but the overall
> system was very unstable and therefore unusable.

Should be stable without CPUTYPE.

> Are there any flags that are reasonable save for 'make buildworld' and
> 'make buildkernel' with gcc 3.4?
>
> Should different optimizations be used for buildworld and buildkernel to
> achieve best performance without sacrificing stability?

For the kernel just use the defaults, there is not much to optimize!
(At least for stuff i tested.)

Usually anything besides -O2 or -Os is not worth the trouble.

If you have a special app you that you want to optimize:

-fno-stack-protector	you sacrifice buffer overflow protection

-fomit-frame-pointer	you sacrifice debugging

-O3	will usually not yield much more if not less than -O2
	and is more dangerous

-march=$arch	not always is the correct arch the best

-msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse 	especially for some floating point weak cpus

Andy