PCIX confusion

Gabriel Ambuehl gaml at buz.ch
Mon Mar 14 01:04:17 PST 2005

Hi Boris Spirialitious,
you wrote.

BS> But what you say about pciE makes me think you
BS> do not know about hardware either. only pcie x1
BS> cards are available, which is not fast. What
BS> pciE cards have you tested? Why would you buy
BS> machine with pciE? Just because it new? It no
BS> make sense what you say.

Actually, seeing that PCIe is point to point, the bandwidth offered by
even PCIe 1x is vastly superior to conventional PCI. And once you get
to the 4x or even 8x range, much less 16x (which pushes more data than
the FSB on many current CPU handles, IIRC), you outperform PCIX with ease.
Electrically, the links are much easier to route which should lower
board prices (no more 8 layer server boards) and increase stability,
even.

Lack of contention and lower latency on point to point links will also
prove beneficial over the long term

Regards,
Gabriel