PCIX confusion

Boris Spirialitious hardcodeharry at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 10:49:54 PST 2005

--- David Rhodus <sdrhodus at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 01:23:07 +0800, Bill Hacker
> <wbh at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Boris Spirialitious wrote:
> >
> > *SNIP*

> > > I am very confused by this statement. Are you
> > > part of dragonfybsd team? PCIX is just faster
> > > spec for PCI. What is not accepted about it?
> > > Is DDR also not accepted? This is very
> disturbing.
> > > It seem like you have no idea what is going
> > > on in the world. It is very strange.
> > >
> > > Boris
> > >

> > Not to worry, Boris!
> >
> > PCI-X is pretty standard in rackmount servers.
> > (running it in IBM e-Series as we speak.)
> >
> > As you hint, it needs nothing not already in the
> *BSD's.
> > DragonFly can be expected to handle it well.
> >
> > The 'discussion' is the residue of a 'hardware'
> > troll-flare, has gone way O/T,
> > .. and will (hopefully) die out if we just let
> it..
> >
> > Pax,
> >
> > Bill
> >

> I have several AMD64 machines with PCI-X all running
> DragonFly
> perfectly.  But honestly now when buying machines I
> will pass on a
> board with PCI-X as its being replaced by PCI-E.

Thanks david,

I not worried about Dragonfly supporting pcix. I
am worried that 3 members of development team
does not know about standard hardware. I read
the thread. Flame war caused by developers
wrong and misguided thinking. That is very
troubling!

But what you say about pciE makes me think you
do not know about hardware either. only pcie x1
cards are available, which is not fast. What
pciE cards have you tested? Why would you buy
machine with pciE? Just because it new? It no
make sense what you say.

Boris