GENERIC - Raising the bar

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Fri Mar 11 14:14:34 PST 2005

Adrian Nida wrote:

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

Note that FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x do not include the 386 code in
the default GENERIC kernel.  The installer CD might be compiled
with "cpu I386_CPU" included, but the GENERIC kernel does not...

Just curious, here.

What would be the harm in having GENERIC.386, GENERIC.486, etc. and then
programmatically setting up GENERIC as a symlink to the one closest
matching the hardware?

Adrian

P.S.  Garance, sorry for the duplication, I just switched to Thunder
Bird, and am still adjusting.
(My) goal is to simply drop the work entailed to try to preserve
compatibility
*at any point* with aging, and increasingly very rare, hardware.

The world has long-since moved on, and the *N*X'es in general
are carrying far too much legacy baggage - CPU's perhaps not even the
worst example....
Cleaning house - as has been going on with code safety and style -
can have a benefical 'ripple' effect...
Otherwise, we are like the government employee told to destroy obsolete
files.
Who made a Xerox of each page as he went ...just in case....   ;-)

BIll