Differences between AMD and Intel CPUs [was: Re: Dragonfly and Hyperthreading....]

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Thu Mar 10 18:27:50 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:00:53PM -0500, EM1897 at xxxxxxx wrote:
> You usually are up on things,Matt, but you seem to be a few
> years behind lately, so maybe you need to come up for
> air? Not knowing about the Pentium-M was surprising,
> but now you seem stuck in 2001. I expect that from the
> Europeons, but I'm surprised at you. You seem to
> have made a major life's commitment to making a
> faster O/S; do you really propose running these
> multicore speed demons with a 1Ghz  bus? What (the
> hell) do I need a 3+ Ghz processor for if I'm running
> on a bus thats 8X slower? What's the point of Hyper
> tunneling if you have such a slow conduit to the outside
> world? Where cares how fast the processor is if you can't
> pass any data? And PCI-X is not any "newer" than the
> Opteron or any of the other processors we've mentioned
> here, so what exactly are you talking about when you
> say its "new"?

FIRST OF ALL, STOP INSULTING OTHER PEOPLE.
Second, check your fact. Just because a bus was proposed a few years
ago doesn't mean that any hardware exist.
Also, just because you have some strange requirements, it doesn't
mean that others have the same and therefore draw the same results.

If you don't stop this, you'll end up as the first person I drop all
mails from unconditionaly.

Joerg