How to teach OS

Zera William Holladay zholla1 at uic.edu
Fri Mar 4 10:03:21 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

> Please define first what level op competence you expect of a *BSD
> developer at the end of your course, somebody who can develop _on_ *BSD
> or on and _for_ *BSD and in what language(s)?

On and for *BSD in C.  These are the goals I would like to obtain for
myself.

> What is the expected knowledge level of the students starting your
> course? And how do you deal with students not having that minimal
> starting knowledge?

Assume that each student already knows C and C is the expected language.
Students are expected to know IA-32 assembler, Intel architecture and C.
I don't know how to deal with students without the minimal starting
knowledge, generally it is just too bad if they don't have it and
registered for the course.

-Zera

[rest cut]