pkgsrc or dfports?

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 9 07:25:35 PDT 2005

Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
<cut>
Well, ports+dfports is still the 'official' way, but developers have
mostly stopped developing and patching for it, and moved to pkgsrc.
Although pkgsrc isn't the ideal replacement, Justin's ipm isn't finished
yet and pkgsrc offers the best alternative. I don't know if there's a
cvsup server for pkgsrc, as it originates from NetBSD where anoncvs is
the popular choice.
<cut>
Out of curiosity, when mixing ports+dfport & pkgsrc ports having the
target directory /usr/local what great evil will happen?

I like to use pkgsrc but I also want to fallback to ports if a port
hasn't been made to pkgsrc.
I also saw that pkgsrc in the dragonfly incarnation uses bmake, whats up
with that why not make?

--
mph