Problems with Soyo P4VTE Board

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jul 4 10:16:27 PDT 2005

:I am about to lose access to my laptop so I'm trying to get
:DF to work on my workstation.  It's a cheapo setup with a
:Soyo P4VTE motherboard and a Celeron 2.4GHz CPU.  The Serial
:ATA controller is recognized, but the live CD proceeds to set
:it to DMA33 because of a non-ATA66 cable it claims.  I have
:a DVD/CD drive (combo) on the parallel ATA cable and am
:trying to install from said device onto the serial ATA hard
:drive.
:
:Once the machine gets to recognizing the hard drive speed incorrectly
:it then goes on with the following:
:
:acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
:ata0: resetting devices .. ata0: mask=03 ostat1=51 ostat2=00
:acd0: ATAPI 14 eb
:ata0-slave: ATAPI 7f 7f
:ata0: mask=03 stat0=10 stat1=00
:ata0: devices = 04
:done
:
:This proceeds endlessly until I reset the computer, to no avail.
:I am at a loss as I no longer have my laptop to investigate with.
:--
:Carl

    Hmm.  Well, the hard drive I presume is on ata1 and that is
    probably working just fine.  The cable junk for SATA is ignored and
    should have no effect on the SATA transfer speed.

    The problem appears to be on the EIDE controller that the CDROM
    is connected to.  We have an entry for that chipset (05711106),
    but I may not be able to do anything without the hardware in front
    of me to figure out why FreeBSD can get through the reset sequence
    but we cannot.

    Is it repeating the 'ata0-slave' line over and over again?  That
    would imply that it is trying to talk to the (presumably non-existant)
    slave.  Double check your cable and drive.  Make sure the cable has not
    been installed with the two ends reversed.  There is a right way and
    wrong way.  And make sure that the CD/DVD drive is jumpered as a master.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>