kernel: Entropy device is blocking

sam samwun at hgcbroadband.com
Fri Jan 28 09:01:07 PST 2005

sam wrote:

Hi,

I asked freebsd group, but didn't get a solutino for this issue, so I
try here for a reasonable answer.

Every now and then when I freshly install FreeBSD, I sometimes get an
error message saying "kernel: Entropy device blocking" when I turn on
sshd in rc.conf file. I have search around in google but coudln't find
a  right fix for it.

Your suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

Thanks for all the replies.
After change the value of net.inet.ip.random_id to 0, sshd successfully
create host keys in /etc/ssh.
I m not sure whether the file entropy file was created in / before the
change.
In my kernel configuration, I commented out the option RANDOM_IP_ID,
because it was said that in 5.3 random_id can be configured in
sysctl.conf file, so I assign 1 to net.inet.ip.random_id. I m not
whether this is randomly happened.
Unfortunately this is just happened to be working after rebooted the
system few times.

Sam.

What will be happened if not compile
RANDOM_IP_ID in the kernel or assign 0 to net.inet.ip.random_id in
sysctl.conf file?

Any idea?

Thanks
Sam