X.org-6.8.1_1 now works without LD_PRELOAD

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Jan 22 11:34:15 PST 2005

:Sorry, i left out the first more important step.
:This was only possible because corecode made a stubs file for our libc:
:http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/commits/2004-12/msg00144.html
:
:> Ok, *whoever* did it, could you please explain it to us neophytes? ;-)
:
:X.org dropped their XThrStubs. That meant we had a Problem (same as
:freebsd 4.x) cause our libc did not have pthread stubs, nor did we
:have a -lpthread (only -pthread). Thus threaded programms (gtk based etc.)
:had a loader Problem, which could be worked around by
:LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc_r.so
:
:After corecode's stubs were committed it somehow still did not work.
:Joerg found a hack in X.org source which patched in X.org's own stubs if
:FreeBSDArchitecture was defined ignoring the configuration not todo that.
:(I guess they patched that in to continue FreeBSD 4.x support though
:i still have to look that up).
:
:Hope that clears it up a bit,
:Andy

    David Rhodus is doing the pthread stub modifications to our libc
    as we speak.  It's required for David Xu's 1:1 thread library work,
    amoung other things.

    Hopefully we will be able to commit it in the next few days.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>