Some newbie questions

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Thu Jan 20 04:14:45 PST 2005

Hi list,

I am currently setting up a new server for our institute. I am still
trying to figure out whether to use FreeBSD or Linux, and yesterday i
heard about DragonFly.

First Question: Is DragonFly ready for production ?

2. If i choose to use FreeBSD, what do i have do pay attention to in
order to be able to switch to DragonFly later (UFS2...) ?

3. What is the state of journaling fs / background fsck ? We cannot wait
hours for fsck to complete after an unclean shutdown

My hardware:
- P4 3Ghz HT on TYAN S5112 Tomcat I7210
- 2G RAM
- SCSI RAID ICP Vortex GDT8524RZ w/ 4x300GB Disks
Software: 2CSNAP-20050119-2330-GCC2

I noticed that my raid controller is recognized, also the attached RAID5
disk set, but while FreeBSD outputs some information about BBU charge
level etc, DragonFly only outputs blank lines at the same place. Can i
use the Vortex supplied FreeBSD driver?

Are there any drawbacks concerning ports?

Enough questions, thanks for your time

	Heinrich
--
Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341