upgrade from FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Thu Feb 24 09:07:15 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Bill Hacker wrote:

> Janet Sullivan wrote:
>
> > Are there any known issues upgrading from FreeBSD 4.11 to Dragonfly, or
> > should the instructions at
> > http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/upgrade-freebsd.cgi still work just fine?

> I do not know if those steps will still work without further ado, but I can
> say that if you can do so, a 'clean' DragonFlyBSD install from ISO, newfs and
> all, is *very much* faster - and very trouble-free...

I've only installed DFly twice, both times by converting a FBSD4 machine.
I elected to do it that way because (at that time) there were reports of
corrupted partition tables, and also I had a lot of installed ports that
continued to work perfectly after the upgrade.

AFAIK the partition table problems have been fixed.  However, I would
recommend writing down your partition table on a piece of paper before
installing *any* new system -- it has saved my sorry rear end on many
occasions ;o)