Backporting DFly patches to FreeBSD?

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Tue Feb 22 23:06:42 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:42:19 -0500
EM1897 at xxxxxxx wrote:

> I see no point in preaching mediocrity.
> If it suits you, fine. But there is no reason to discourage
> others.

I don't think anyone's even suggesting mediocrity.  One point that seems
to have been missed several times in this thread is that there is no
*unqualified* "best" - anything that is good, is good *for some
purpose*.

For this reason, FreeBSD and DragonFly are only in competition insofar
as they both target the same market segment.  AFAIK neither project has
made an official statement about what their target *is*, so it's hardly
worth discussing the extent to which they are competing at this point.

-Chris