Dragonfly and Hyperthreading....

EM1897 at aol.com EM1897 at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 06:26:18 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/22/05 5:01:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mhellwig at xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Tyan is on my blacklist, ever since having to recall 38 systems from
> throughout the world because they spontanously rebooted due to a
> power design flaw...Again, it all SOUNDS great, but until I get it
> on the bench its just a lot of words.

<cut>
>If I would have a blacklist for all hardware returned due to manufacture
>f**k up, I will not be able to buy any hardware. If I would have a list
f>or banned software due to programmer f**k up, it would surely get real
>quite around here.

Perhaps you have a point, but in dealing with them on the problem I
got the impression that there was a wave of incompetence within.
They knew about the problem, had no idea what it was and thus
there was no solution. Ths solution was to use a lot more power
than should have been required, which at the time wasn't a real
option.

In many "third world" countries (do we still use that term?) power
is inconsistent if not downright dangerous. I can't use a MB by a
company that tests motherboards at twice the power requirement
and shrugs it off when what *should* work doesn't.

I do give them credit for giving me credit on the MBs, which was
little consequence as it cost more to have them shipped back in
than the product was worth.

You buy a car, and if you get a "lemon" you don't buy that model
again. You may not be right in doing so, but you'd feel real stupid
if you got burned twice...