Cannot compile Perl-5.8.6

Andreas Hauser andy at splashground.de
Fri Feb 18 01:33:50 PST 2005

sdrhodus wrote @ Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:36:04 +0000:

> But, really...  Who wants to continue to use the fbsd ports system
> since Dfly is not supported under it.  I recommend switching over to
> pkgsrc, because DFly is a support platform under pkgsrc.

Ports has many more ports than pkgsrc.

Ports works quite well especially if we make us look like FreeBSD (uname etc.).

Pkgsrc lacks portupgrade, which is a mighty tool.

There is the problem of deinstallation before updating.
Though pkg_views realivate that problem and give a hint how at least
I imagine the VFS magically enhanced One True System to work.

While i prefer pkgsrc over ports and even use it successfully on Linux
my personal transition will take some time.

Andy