another dragonfly drawing

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Tue Feb 15 10:17:29 PST 2005

"Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Oke another one:
>http://www.xs4all.nl/~mhellwig/dfbm/sixTriangles.png
>
>But this one is more like a logo, the idea behind it is that if we
>introduce a logo early enough we won't need a contest in the future ;-)
>
>The logo itself has actually a story:
>The triangle is reference to the trident of the BSD daemon.
>The 4 corners of the parallelogram represent the number of the current
>more popular bsd's (DragonFly, Free, Net and Open).
>The "missing" interior 2 triangles is a reference for the former 2 bsd's
>(net & free) or a reference to the 2 forks (DF and Open), your choice.

Hey I really like this one.  The reason is something you don't
mention: the white space in the interior looks somewhat like an
insect... (probably you need to use some imagination to see that)

I thought about making the wings a bit more dragonfly-like (long and
thin), which works if you choose not an equilateral triangle but a
"golden triangle" (sides in the "golden ratio" 1.618+ to 1) which is
supposed to signify perfection and all that.  I dropped two of
the triangles to keep the aspect ratio right.  This is the result:

http://rsidd.online.fr/dfly.pdf

>The total amount of tri(3)angles are 6 so I let you do the reference for
>this last one ;-)

Sorry, I spoiled that... however, now the number of triangles is 4 and
the number of outer vertices is 6, so we're ok :)

>The color green is used because red is so 20th century... and ofcource
>Fred has some green too, besides all other references are to BSD in
>general and so this one is used to brand it just for DF ;-)

Green is good, we need more green :)

Rahul