UPDATE: Problems booting an SMP kernel

Douglas S. Keester dkeester at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 7 20:49:41 PST 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 20:18, Douglas S. Keester wrote:
> 	I will try a 'boot -d' on both the GENERIC kernel and my SMP kernel. I
> will also give the FreeBSD boot CD a try.

	Well, it booted correctly in SMP mode for the first time tonight. Yay! :-)

	I am still not sure why it wasn't working in SMP mode. FreeBSD 4.11 worked
like a champ in both UP and SMP modes. I tried diffing the ATA code between
FreeBSD 4.8, FreeBSD 4.11, and DragonFly, but I found no changes that seemed
to relate to my problem.

	Then I found the following post to the commits@ list:
		http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/commits/2005-02/msg00115.html
Since it seems to be the only related commit since the beginning of January,
it probably has some relation. The "system locks up due to e.g. blown
interrupt routing" comment in the log sounds about right. So, I am guessing
this is probably the cause of my problem.

	Thanks Matt!

--
Douglas S. Keester
dkeester at xxxxxxxxxxxxx