sendmail as a secondary MX

Janet Sullivan ciscogeek at bgp4.net
Fri Feb 25 06:39:21 PST 2005

The only difference I see off the bat is that before converting
tx.bgp4.net to DragonFly, it was running sendmail 8.13.1, while on DF
it now uses 8.12.10.
OK, this is officially driving me crazy now, even though I wouldn't at
all be surprised if its pilot error.

All I want is for sendmail on my dragonfly box to do is be a secondary
for two domains.  That's it.  If anyone has this working on CURRENT,
please tell me how you did it.

What drives me nuts is that the Sendmail config steps I used on FreeBSD
4.10 & 4.11 on the same box worked fine for a secondary.  However, I
just can't get it to work on DF.  I've tried nuking /etc/mail and
starting fresh.  I've tried sendmail from ports.  For whatever reason, I
just can't get the !$%R% thing to relay.

- Any clues in /var/log/maillog?
No

- Any warn or similar level messages in any *other* log or console
messages?
No

- How about (changes to) the various configuration files under /etc/mail?
Nuked /etc/mail, ran mergemaster, and dropped all my normal sendmail
changes (dnsbls) and just tried relay-domains.  Nada.

I've ruled out mail application by telneting directly to port 25 on the
server and doing the commands (helo, mail from:, rcpt to:, data, .,
quit) manually.  It accepts the mail just fine - and delivers it
locally, never noticing that its a secondary MX.

And finally - are you 'attached' to Sendmail, or would you want to try,
for example Exim?
Well, I *was* attached to sendmail. <laugh>  It irks me when things that
worked two days ago don't work now, and I can't figure out why.

There has to be something I'm missing.