Dragonfly and Hyperthreading....

Dan Eicher dan at frizzlefry.com
Mon Feb 21 18:05:52 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:57:59 -0500, EM1897 wrote:

> In a message dated 2/21/05 6:27:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> :Tyan is on my blacklist, ever since having to recall 38 systems from
> :throughout the world because they spontanously rebooted due to a
> :power design flaw...Again, it all SOUNDS great, but until I get it
> :on the bench its just a lot of words.
> :
> :On another note, what is dragonfly's status regarding Opterons?
>
>>    Nothing specific.  It should work similarly to other machines.
>>    That is, it comes down to hardware support for the MB more then
>>    the particular cpu.
>
> Ok. Let me word it differently. So what are the chances of a
> randomly purchased opteron system working painlessly with
> Dragonfly?

I've been testing DragonFly on a dual 242 opteron Via K8T Master2-FAR mobo
and everything Just Works. The only issue I've seen is when doing a
buildworld it doesn't utilize the whole power of the cpus, it pretty much
just tops out at 146% according to "time make -j 3 buildworld".
Buildkernel can get it up to 169.8% but the same tests on FreeBSD 5.3 and
current would go ~196%.

Haven't really done too much other than buildworld and buildkernel time
tests with different make -j values to see how good SMP is working...can't
really complain about 22 min buildworld times though.

Dan