Conclusion - Re: Backporting DFly patches to FreeBSD?

Kris Kennaway kkenn at xor.obsecurity.org
Mon Feb 21 12:15:38 PST 2005

On 2005-02-21, Hiten Pandya <hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay, it is finally time for me to step-in and do my job - this thread
> is not getting anywhere and must end with this closing note. :)
>
> If FreeBSD does not take our changes or what we consider as "important"
> changes, than it is their loss and vice versa it applies if we dont take
> improvements made in their tree and put them in ours.

Aren't you still a FreeBSD committer?  The talk of "us" vs "them"
makes me think you're not interested in working on FreeBSD any longer.
That's a shame, I'd hoped you would be interested in doing some of
this cross-porting you guys are advocating.

> Facts:
> It is important to be diplomatic with other projects or individuals from
> that project.  If David is hostile towards FreeBSD, he can gladly do it
> at GoBSD site because that is *his* site; it DOES NOT represent the
> DragonFly project as whole.

It does reflect poorly on the DragonFly project as a whole, and
contributes to on-going ill-will between the projects.  This is sad.

> If FreeBSD does not adopt an XYZ feature from DragonFly for whatever
> reasons, which might cure their issues, than that is simply their
> problem and not ours -- this applies vice versa as mentioned above.
>
> Personal attacks or generalized speculative statements such as
> "DragonFly is much better than FreeBSD" (and vice versa) are wrong.  The
> person who does so, IS NOT representing the views of the DragonFly
> project as whole.

Unfortunately, when the statements are made by core DragonFly
developers in public fora, this distinction is not apparent, and the
obvious conclusion is drawn by those watching at home.

It's something that you'll have to deal with that as long as your core
developers are running around making negative comments about FreeBSD,
you're going to have poor relations with the FreeBSD developers who
read those comments and wonder why they should bother.

Kris