installing ports

Andreas Hauser andy at splashground.de
Sun Feb 20 03:21:55 PST 2005

george wrote @ Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:19:59 -0500:

> => Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.ayamura.org/pub/zsh/.
> fetch: transfer timed out
> => Attempting to fetch from ftp://linux.sarang.net/mirror/system/zsh/.
> fetch: ftp://linux.sarang.net/mirror/system/zsh/zsh-4.2.3-doc.tar.bz2: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> => Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/unix/zsh/.
> Receiving zsh-4.2.3-doc.tar.bz2 (1646339 bytes): 100%
> 1646339 bytes transferred in 6.3 seconds (255.33 kBps)

In this case you could remove the mirror from the Makefile
or set MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE to one of the working ones.

> also, I don't think it's normal to require make clean on first build,
> but "make && make install" will typically return me to a prompt, no
> error and "make clean && make && make install" works to download and
> build the port. Not sure how I've configured this to happen, or is it
> normal?

If you don't "make clean" and the port is already built it will not
try to build again, even if the port was updated since.
Thus a make clean is required.

You might want to use sysutils/portupgrade to install/manage ports.
It will automatically do much of the required stuff for ports.

Andy